Saturday, September 12, 2009

Hungry Ghost Festival

Hungry Ghost Festival... Didn't mean that the ghost is hungry and came out to look for food lar...



Hungry Ghost Festival was celebrated on the 14th day of 7th month lunar calendar... In Hokkien it is knowned as "Poh Toh" and Mandarin "Yu Lan"... But whatever they named it I only know "Chert Yuet Sup Sei"...


Chinese folklore has it tat the gates of the lower realms (HELL) are opened during this month and ghosts are allowed to roam the living world freely... But celebrations are being carried out throughout the month to placate the spirits...



This year I oso celebrate this festival cuz my boss is the president to held this festival... So have to give face lor... If not next year increment a bit hard lar... The celebration was held in Kg. Baru Sg. Buloh, the place I work...


When I enter the praying ceremony I saw this big paper statue sitting under the canopy like "Tai Kor"... He look like TRANSFORMER lor but chinese version one lar... He's the God of Hades!!!


Then a colleague of mine asked me to pray pray lor... So have to PAY before you PRAY... He ask me to pay RM5 but I dun have small change, den have to pay RM10 lor... Haiz


This is wat I get for the praying thingy... Not all lar only take one...

The below are wat I saw wen I'm praying or worshipping:-

The God Of Hades...


Roadtax for cars... GING... JRJ? Stands for Jom Rasuah Jom...
And notice the number? Just came out few days ago...


A table for the remembrance of the deceased... Nicely arranged...


New clothes for them to "Seong Low"...


The Queen Hell cruise...


If no ticket for the cruise, can ride horse oso...


Or win some money to get free ticket... But only for our other world neighbour lar...

I think they oso can get wat we have here... So dun have to worry lor, cuz their world is so updated too...

After all the tiring worshipping and prayers, my colleague and me go find our table and get ready for dinner lor... But I din stay long ter cuz very boring mah... So I manage to feed my stomach with:-


"Ping Poon", appetizer...


Shary Fins Soup...


Stewed knuckle...

While eating got performance oso lar... By old lady, eat oso wana vomit straight ahead cuz she reali "But Ji Leong Lik"... Meaning, didn't use the mirror to look on herself carefully...
Around 9:30pm I oso cabut lor... Apparently, 11pm is midnight for the Chinese, and it was when everyone helped to bring the entire display of paper effigies and items to a big field to be burnt... A Master chanted and rang a bell to reduce the sins of the souls. The longer the bell is rung, the more sins are absolved. The burning of all the paper effigies symbolises the return of the gods to the other world.

The effigy of the paper God Of Hades relocated to an open ground...
Fire are ignited to sent the God back to Hades... Fire beginning to burn fiercely, so the God say Bye-Bye lor...
* This is what Hungry Ghost Festival was...

1 comment:

  1. oooo, good description for the ghost fastival, especially the transformer..hahaha

    ReplyDelete